Sunday, November 15, 2015

November 9-10 Fernandina Harbor Marina

We called Fernandina Harbor Marina on Monday.  I know the marina was full Sunday because of the storm but luckily they had an opening for us.  Not that we really wanted to leave Cumberland, but our generator, which we are increasingly dependent on now that our batteries are weakening, barely started this morning.  My diagnosis:  dying battery.  Cranking the generator was showing me barely 10 volts at the battery.  So its another, "Oh well..." moment.

We hauled the anchor up around noon, went across the sound and into Fernandina.  Easy journey.  We were tied up at the marina by 1:30.
There we are on the end of the dock
They put us at the north end of the marina on the center dock at the end.  They originally wanted to place us inside on the main dock, but there is barely enough room for us to turn around in there and with the current running I didn't want to try it.  So they got us on the center dock.


The route to Walmart along good old South 3rd Street 

Having stayed here a number of times before, I knew my way to the Walmart, Winn Dixie and the Dollar store.  I think I may perhaps be reaching "expert" status when it comes to stores and bike routes.

So first thing after we tied up, I took the bike, our sole remaining vehicle, down and rode the 4 miles to Walmart and purchased a reasonable battery replacement.  Bought a few other things as well.

I didn't replace the battery right away figuring I'dd get as much out of the old one as I could.  Meanwhile we were plugged in and topping off both battery banks.

Pretty heavy winds took care of my wifi booster
I took down the wifi booster antenna that had snapped off at its fitting during that storm the previous day.  Having bolstered my confidence with all thing epoxy in Brunswick, I quickly assembled the snapped fittings and slathered it with epoxy, basically two threaded fittings joined at their non-threaded ends.  The leftover epoxy I used to patch some gouges on the dinghy bottom.

While I was at Winn Dixe (numerous times I might add) I discovered some wine we liked and bought  a few bottles among other food items.  We are planning on being anchored out for a few weeks so needed to stock up.  I also stopped at Dollar Tree (the dollar store) to replenish my supply of reading glasses which I break, loose or drop overboard.  My creeping aging has me toying with some in the 2.75 magnification range, up from my normal 2.50.

Mary did laundry the next morning and met Jill, of George and Jill.  They had just moved aboard their boat and were somewhat new to cruising so we talked with them awhile and I stopped over the next morning to give them some additional info.  Nice couple.  They are heading to Key West in a boat similar to ours.

The museum was originally the county jail
Museum parking lot (I know.  How exciting, )
On my numerous trips to the Walmart/Winn Dixie stores I would ride right by the Amelia Island Museum of History.  Fernandina is located at the northern end of the island and I think is officially known as Fernandina Beach.  I never had time to stop in there and have not heard anyone say much about it.  So next time we're here we'll have to go in and see what thy have.

The day before we left we were able to wash the port side of the boat which we hadn't done in (mumble...mumble) months.  It was pretty dirty which means we probably shouldn't let it go as long as we did.   But after a good wash it looks like a clean old boat!  At least on the port side.  And while we were busy cleaning I discovered and patched a number of gel coat cracks and holes.

And taking advantage of being tied to a dock, I changed the generator engine oil and was able to re-cycle it at the marina.

So for two days we sort of worked and enjoyed being at a dock with water and electricity.

Our last night there we decided to go out for dinner.  We chose, Ciao which May tells me is pronounced, "Chow".  If that's how they spell it, Ok.

 It's an (obviously) Italian  place with real table clothes.  We haven't been this civilized in many months.
A salad.  I forgot what they called it.  The lettuce was deliberately left out.
They present the bill in a DVD case of  an assorted Italian movies
Ambiance 
Good food, and wonderful atmosphere.  A fitting send off I think as we head out towards Jacksonville and then the wilds of the St. Johns River tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment