Wednesday, November 25, 2015

November 23-25 2015 Ortega Landing Marina

Eric is the mechanic recommended to us by Jim's friend, Terry.  I had left him a message yesterday and as were were doing paperwork at the dock office this morning, he walked in.  Luckily he was doing some work on another boat here in the marina and said he'd stop by and see about our fuel problem.

 At least for now, we are staying until November 30 when the slip occupants, who vacated for a few months, are slated to return.  Bruce, the dock master is checking to see if we can stay past the weekend and into next week.

Making the Satellite work
I emailed KVH tech support last night asking about the satellite problem we are experiencing.  The DISH people said it was an antenna problem.  And as I found out from KVH this morning, they (DISH), altered some of their satellite parameters in late August which is when our TV went off the air.

Jack, the KVH guy, sent me a tech bulletin with the new parameters.  It reads like a Bash (Unix shell) script.  Hey, I sort of  remember some of that stuff.   Anyway once I update the satellite Mary will have all her channels back.  Thanksgiving day gift!

I started equalizing the batteries through the solar panel charge controller.  It'll take most of the day.  Basically it charge the batteries with voltages in the 14.6-15.2 range to desulfinate he battery plates.  This may extend the usefulness of the batteries for a bit, but we are going to have to replace them all pretty soon, especially before going to the Bahamas.

While we were at the office we also met Gene, an Illinoisan  who is a Door County veteran.  He spent summers up there when we also vacationed there.  Except he does't remember what is was like in the 60's and late 50's.  Turns out he's several years younger than I am which, he said chuckling, makes me a Door County elder.  Me an elder?  Come on!

The aft head sink faucet is leaking badly so I found the spare faucet and intend on installing it.  Some time soon, but not right away.  It's going to require contortions which I can do, but at a price.  So I'm limbering up in preparation.  And I know now, that seemingly simple repairs are never simple, and require a far larger investment of time.

Eric did stop over later and we hashed out some thoughts on the fuel imbalance.  He thinks it's a return problem and I agree.  The engines pump lots of fuel but only use a small portion of it, returning the excess to the fuel tanks.  We seem to be only returning fuel to the starboard tank.  So I'm going to check the fuel tank vent, and then the fuel return line connections.

We were going to rent a car and drive to Frenandina so I could get a prescription which was mysteriously transferred to the CVS there.   But this morning while it was 52 outside and a energizing 61 in the cabin, it dawned on me that Wednesday was the day before a major holiday.   There will be all kinds of people out shopping and driving.  I didn't want to be included, so I arranged for a car this morning.

Our little Versa parked at the chilly beach
Enterprise picked us up here at the marina around 11.  And once at their office, they gave us a Nissan Versa and sent us on our way in only a few minutes.  It took us about an hour to drive to the Frenandina Beach CVS.  Once that task was completed we took a little driving tour around Amelia Island since we have never seen much of the island except from the water.  Nice place, stately homes but it was windy and really cool so we didn't do any beach walking.


We started back out of town but made a stop at the Walmart and stocked up on some sundry items which are remarkably cheaper than Publix, the grocery store nearest to us at the marina.  Although we did have to make a stop there for some more exotic Chinese type food items Mary wanted..
Chilly beach with white caps out on the ocean

We went directly to Enterprise from Publix to return the car and get a ride back to the marina, bags of groceries and all.

As we were walking back to the boat we had another of those "small world" episodes.  The tour boat next to us is Foxy Lady.  Mary noted it had Green Bay, WI as its port of call.  She told me but that bit of information somehow missed its mark and I promptly forgot.   As we were walking out on the dock I noticed the activity on board and of course went over to talk with them.

As it turns out, this is the same boat that was based on the Fox River up in Green Bay.  And we never went on of the cruises!

Small world
Mitch and Carolyn, owners of Foxy Lady, ran cruises on it in Green Bay for years.  But they decided a few years ago to move it down here.  So they drove it all the way from Green Bay to Jacksonville.  Cant wait to hear about that trip.

We were invited aboard and had a nice talk with them.  The boat is in a great shape!   And it has a bar on each level.

The annual lighted boat parade in Jacksonville is this Saturday and they are participating.  We're thinking of going along.  Prime Rib dinner and fireworks after.  The boat hangs around on the river in downtown Jacksonville so the view is fabulous.

Bruce, the dock master here, informed us that we can stay in this slip until December 1 or beyond.  He contacted the absent slip occupants and they're being delayed so wont be back right away.   So we can enjoy the place for a few more days.

We've been waiting for a pump out today.  The marina is closed tomorrow and Friday so I'm hoping the guys gets here this afternoon.  Meanwhile Mary decided to do some laundry and I thought I'd swap out the leaky faucet in our head.

Sawing out a faucet is a first for me
Guess it was time to replace it
I got the short end of that deal.  In a house, changing a faucet is maybe a 45 minute job.  Here on an old boat, I spent almost three hours crunched in a little cupboard.  I ended up having to slide a hacksaw underneath the base and cut the threaded pipe fitting because the water line was so corroded  a crescent wrench wouldn't budge it.  I tried a few times but just ended up rounding off the nut.  So the only way to remove the faucet was with a hacksaw.  Luckily I bought new water lines.

So three hours later, we have a new faucet, no leaks and an aching plumber.

The winds are howling out of the east. Our stern faces directly east so were bouncing around a little in the slip.  Glad we're staying here until next week!

They all came running as I walked into the yard
I walked around Ortega again and stopped in at Huckins where we'll be in a few weeks.  We've spent time here before but I was surprised that the yard cats all seemed to remember me, the old guy with cat treats.

Guardian of the dock
We seem to be engaged in a turf war with this uppity, great blue heron who hangs at the end of the dock and squawks its displeasure when I get on or off the boat.  It wont move until I'm a yard or two away from it either.  It flies off and returns right away to its spot on the dock.

I think tonight, maybe we'll enjoy a bottle of wine huddled up in the plush lounge where there is a fire place.  If the weather is this windy and chilly now, whats it going to be like when we leave here in mid January to head south?  Should I maybe bring a shovel in case of snow?  Ear muffs?  My Fleet Farm stocking cap?  Sheez ....

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and there are 87 people attending the party here.  We are bringing a Bob Evans mashed potatoes dish.  It's unclear how much galley time will be involved, but I suspect it wont consume too many hours of the day.

We did get pumped out so we should be good for another few weeks.

The high pressure here in the east is causing several days of high winds.  However when we leave on the 2nd the winds will have dissipated.   But that weather system sweeping through the plains over the next few days will be making its way down here at some point.  If its forecast to be a strong front we just may stay here and enjoy the marina until we have to make our way to Huckins on December 7th.




No comments:

Post a Comment