Wednesday, April 8, 2015

March 8-25 2015 Marathon

April 8, 2015 
Trying to crank out the rest of the blog updates before we do get to the Bahamas.  One a day maybe!  
And yup.  We are still in Marathon Marina.  No news regarding membrane delivery yet.  I still think we'll be here until Tax day next week.  At least I did find a toilet rebuild kit seller in Miami so we'll have that in a few days.  Small victories.  Gotta love um.
========================================================================

Next morning I was supposed to return the rental car but called them and asked if I could keep it until Monday.  No problem they said.  Great.  So now we have a car for few more days.

So we started to clean the boat.  Wish I had pictures of it all.

We cleaned out the forward stateroom,  reassembled the dinette and put all the bedding put away.  We hauled 2 big loads of laundry over to the laundry area.  While Mary was doing that I pulled out the sundeck carpet and got it up on the dock where I scrubbed it with dawn and then rinsed it off.

Mike and Diana from the boat that we anchored at Cape Sable with a few weeks ago, stopped over for a nice chat.  They had just pulled into the marina from the anchorage at Bahia Honda.

After they left I put the carpet up on the bow to dry off.   And hosed down and washed off the sundeck deck too.  Its been awhile since we've done that as evidenced by the amount of dirt that was washed overboard.

Once Mary returned we both showered and we headed over to see if Mike and Diana were there but they had ran off to dinner before we came over.  I re-discovered that walking the docks with a cocktail invites conversation and I spent a good 45 minutes talking to various people who were out on there boat decks enjoying the weather and a cocktail.   I know their boats very well.  Couldn't even venture a guess at their names though.

I finally made it back to our boat and we headed over to Dave and Joanne's condo here in the marina.  It has this bountiful deck, large enough for 20 people or more, that overlooks the marina.  Wonderful spot!  But this time it was just us and we spent a few wonderful hours catching up with them.

We left there around 9:30 and hit the sack right away.  Guess we're both tired.  Where's all that party stamina we used to have in abundance?

This morning we drove over to the local VFW which has these $7 breakfasts every Sunday.  We met Susan & Brent, Liz (Steve was working on his windlass) and Em and Bev.  We haven't seen much of them lately and wanted to catch up.

After breakfast we drove the short distance to Home Depot and bought stuff.  And then drove to Specialty Hardware in search of square rubber tiles but they were closed.  We need the tiles to put the freezer on so it doesn't sit directly on the carpet.  And I’m also going to use them to help level out the freezer and the fly bridge fridge.  Right now they are tilted back to the port side.

We then stopped at Publix and weaved our way through the congested isles for an hour before loading up the car and heading back to the marina.  We hauled all the stuff back to the boat but had to reattach the sundeck carpeting and move the freezer back in is position before we could store anything more in the freezer.

Once all that was completed I started cleaning the sundeck couch which has gotten pretty dirty and salty.  I used a garden sprayer to spray the cleaner on the couch, scrubbed it with a stiff brush an then used our green machine to spray warm water and suck it all up.  Four tankfuls of dirty water later it was all done! 

Richard and Ward leaving for Key West
We took a quick shower and headed next door to Roger and Wards boat for cocktails.  It’s a Grand Alaskan 53.  Beautiful.  And pretty new.  Actually its about the same size practically speaking as ours.  We are 46’ in the spec sheets, but are really a little under 53 feet overall.  However we dont ever say that because 46 feet is far cheaper than 53 feet when staying at a marina.

Roger and Ward are great guys. Hope we see more of them.  And we probably will.  They are live- aboards and alway stay around here every winter.  Its something I think we'll be doing as well.  They're leaving tomorrow morning for Key West. 

Tomorrow I have to get the propane tanks filled, pay my, no-seat-belt fine (long story) and return the car which means I have a 4 mile walk back to the marina.  I think we’ll hit the pool when I get back.

I read Rob’s email around 8AM this morning.  Right before he called.  We’re going for a boat ride I guess.  We had to cancel going to Sue and Brent’s boat tonight for a Farkle tournament.   Meanwhile I ran over to Amerigas where the not so nice lady refused to fill our existing tank but swapped it for another.  Basically a tank exchange.  She couldn't read the date on the tank so refused to full it.  

Yet the small, grill tank which is suspicious because its similar to some recalled tanks, she filled without a whimper.  So $30 poorer I had full propane tanks.

On board I put the tanks away and then cleaned the dinette cushions with the green machine.  Then headed out to return the rental car.  They drove me back and we headed over towards Rob and Sue’s Grady White where we met Dave and Joanne too.  Nice boat.  Perfect for use as a dive boat or just zipping around the area.

Heading up one of the small residential canals by Castaways
Joanne, Sue and Dave mesmerized by one of the eclectic home 
We took off and went out on the bay side into several little cuts and canals.  Never knew they even existed.  Rob and Sue have been down here for almost  20 years know the place very well.

Rob (blue shirt) and Dave 
We then headed back under 7 mile bridge to the Molasses Keys and anchored up close to shore at the small beach.  We walked around on the sand, the girls, Joanne, Sue and Mary, plucking numerous interesting shells from the shallow areas. 

The girls returning.  On the island is the kayaker's tent
Rob and I ended up talking to a guy camped in the island who got there by kayak.  He left from Everglades city a few weeks ago,  and actually had kayaked down the Mississippi from Illinois.  No mean feat!   The kayak was basically plywood slathered in resin and fiberglass.  Looked really good though.  Sorry no pictures Kathy.
Someones treasure is anothers, "why would you want to keep that?".  
Conch ... that little squiggly thing
Hot babes on a deserted tropical island
We eventually headed back to the marina and decided to invite ourselves to Dave and Joannes place again.  The upper deck overlooking the marina is so nice especially with the sunset as a back drop.  And they have plenty of ice and these comfy chairs!  Great place!
Joanne, Sue, Rob, Dave and Mary up on their deck
The sunsets are now moving slightly north each day which puts them over the bridge and a few days will be obscured by the land.  Oh well.  Spring is roaring in.

We spent several hours up there and never did go out to eat.  We just headed back to the boat and started to watch Big Hero 6 before retiring.   Thats the movie Dave and Jen had brought but I never did see the ending and since Wal-Mart had it on sale, what the heck.
  
We were pumped-out this morning.  The guy just showed up and did it.  Another little perk of being in this marina. 

After the pumpout guy left I went up and cleaned the fly bridge, and especially the carpeting.   Then, taking advantage of an abundance of energy, cleaned and waxed the dinghy.  Had to install a Y valve in the dockside water line first though.  Oddly enough it leaked until I rummaged around and found a washer.  I have spare parts for almost anything I think.  Just cant locate them right away 

We eventually started cleaning the salon and I used the green machine to clean the carpets.  By then though the guy who’s the expert cable guy, Dennis, came and pronounced we have a faulty cable.  I’m a bit skeptical but after going through a few diagnostic tests he might be right since I cant see anything else wrong.  I know the cable box is getting a signal of some sort.  It's either the cable box or the cable. 

After Dennis left I went and put on the little dinghy registration numbers.  And then fired up the Nissan 2Hp and took off into Boot Key Harbor where talked with Steve and Liz, me going in small circles around their aft deck because I was reluctant to shut the engine down.  It doesn't have a gear box so once its started its going forward.  Period.

We’re seeing them in a few days here at the pool and then dinner at Castaways.  Tonight we declined an invite to see a jam session on Big Pine Key and opted instead to stay in.  It’ll give me a chance to work on a blog posting and email.

An exciting day.  We cleaned more of the boat.  Got the salon untrashed and sparkling after moving the couches and discovering  a host of artifacts like a wallet with $13.  Jonah?

Accessed our stash of watermaker primary filters so I now have a few spares. Speaking of the water maker, Aquamarine still hasn't returned my email regarding an acid wash procedure I need to do so the membrane are cleared of accumulated debris.  Hydrochloric acid solution of PH 2.  Like I remember any chemistry, but I think it's basically muriatic acid of a 35% solution.  The same stuff you buy to clean swimming pools.  We'll see though.

After the chemistry research session I rode a few miles down to Home Depot to fetch a few things, especially some storage containers to house my ever growing stash of spare parts.

I went back to the Marina office later in the morning and brought back a new cable box.  It works just fine, so it was the cable box all along.  Mary is ecstatic.  TV!

Jeff and Judy surprised us with a phone call.  They pulled into Boat House Marina in Key Colony Beach today.  Totally unexpected.  They were originally not coming down from Ft. Lauderdale until April.  

They wanted to come over and visit us for awhile and then go have dinner.  Meanwhile I went down to the pool to talk with Dave and Joanne since they stopped over a few times today and I was either gone or digging into the bilge.

I came back to the boat and Mary and I sat out on the sundeck and watched the sunset until Curt, Marilyn, Jeff and Judy showed up  They were joined by another couple from their marina too.  We all went over to Lazy Days for a dinner (9pm!),  and then came back to our boat for a little party until midnight. 

This morning Wade, the diver was slated to yank our port side prop off so I could take it over to the prop shop, Prop Tec along with the spare dinghy prop.  Meanwhile we tackled cleaning out the master stateroom. Took several hours but its been culled and cleaned!  

Mary took a quick break and bought jewelry at some tupperware type party Sue had on their boat. 

Once back aboard we got most everything stored and cleaned up before taking the big dinghy down and heading over to Castaways to see Steve and Liz, Brent and Susan and EM and Bev.  EM and Bev are heading back north Sunday.

We had a great time as usual.  They were heading to a play while we headed back to the boat.  I spent an hour doing some electrical work and then a little TV before retiring.  Tomorrow I’m taking the props to the prop shop.  Wade did indeed take the damaged prop off .  

It was laying on the dock next to the large ball fender I rescued last night.  Dave, who had stopped by earlier noticed it floating out towards the sand bar so I hopped in the small dinghy and rowed out to fetch it back.
Our newly found big ball fender.  Thats are puny one in the background
I left it on the dock but no one has claimed it yet so we may have a new ball fender.  Ironically one of ours has sprung a leak and is flat.  Divine providence of the sea gods maybe?

I loaded up the my bike with the small dinghy prop and then bungeed the big bronze prop on top of the basket.  Luckily I added a few zip ties to strap the basket on the little carrier platform bolted to the rear of the bike frame.  It was heavy.  Always fun wobbling down a busy highway with a large, 40 lb. prop hanging off the bike.

I dropped them of at Prop-Tec and he said they'd have it done by next Monday.

Then I rode off to Home Depot and Publix, but first stopped at West Marine to buy the last two cheap LED lights they had so I can wire up some closet lights.  Right now we have these battery powered lights in there which don’t really work well.  They’re operated by a remote switch which isn't paired to a certain light but works in a general area.  

Huh??  Well, I put two other lights of this type up on the flybridge so we’d have some low level lighting up there.  Batteries wouldn't last more than a week which is odd since I rarely turned them on.  That’s when I discovered turning on the closet lights in our stateroom was also illuminating the fly bridge.  And sometimes those lights, being near the edge of the switches operable range, wouldn’t shut off.  The things you learn.

We put all the groceries and hardware stuff away (my little bike basket can hold a lot) and went off to the pool to join Dave and Joanne.  We shared a cocktail and then they went off to dinner out while I re-assembled the grill after cleaning out a years worth of accumulated grease.  Always a fun job, but the pork chops tasted mighty fine and the usual clouds of smoke from the grill were hardly noticeable.

Mary had the TV going for awhile before we went to bed.  The aft A/C unit isn't doing well so I rigged fans to blow cool air into the stateroom from the other two A/C units in the forward stateroom and salon.  Guess we might be engaging a AC repair guy soon.  It only gets down to 72 at night but our stern faces west and the sun heats up the stateroom like an oven.

Today is Seafood Festival day.  But before we headed over there I rode my bike to the bike repair place where they’ll make it so I have two fully functional breaks instead of the ½ squeaky brake  I have now.

I met Mary at 7 Mile Grill where we ate breakfast before heading back across the road to the marina.  Rob and Sue along with Dave and Joanne had all left a few minutes earlier by land.  We took the dinghy and tied it up over at city marina.  We still have the green dinghy tag allowing us to tie up there, but the date scribbled date isn't exactly current.  But no worries. I don’t think they issue tickets.

Growing collection of Seafood Festival mugs
The Seafood festival here is an annual event here and is basically like a county fair sans rides.  Lots of flea market tents and bands on the large stage.  And of course the beer tent where you pay $4 for a cup including beer and then pay $3 just for the beer.  So we have another Seafood Festival souvenir cup!  Orange this time.

Mary thinks I look like a pimp?
I bought a hat.  Mary drooled over foldable bikes until we met up with some friends of ours who we lost but found some other friends of ours.  We sat around listening to music but didn’t eat anything.  We planned to return later in the evening when it cooled down some.  It was incredibly hot there and so we all pretty much dispersed.  We headed back to the marina and the pool for a while,

Well I did.  Mary was in the boat with the AC running and gave me explicit instructions to be back in 30 minutes.  An hour later she was banging on the low hanging gate giving me more explicit instructions to get the hell out!   We always know how make a scene I guess.

We went back to the festival and ran into every one again.  It was sort of another farewell party for one couple, Bev and Em from Quimbe.  They’re leaving tomorrow morning for parts north.


Rescued Pelican who loves to be petted.
A few glimpses of the Sea Food Festival.





The large number of booths have everything for sale
Tiny little Falcon 
This was a fabulous band, the guitar player was especially good
We lingered awhile listening to this really good band, (Red I think) with a superb guitar player.  But after awhile we all ended up drifting away and back to our respective boats/condos.  I guess going to bed by 9 is a common thing amongst us older mariners.






Today we are going with Dave and Joanne to eat breakfast at the VFW.  The VFW ends their $7 Sunday morning breakfasts in two more weeks!  It’s really quite good!

We met up with our other friends there as well.  We got so engrossed in conversation we were the last people in there. 

We decided to have everyone from the anchorage over to play in the pool that afternoon and then watch the sunset from our boat with cocktails and munchies.

Mary and I straightened up the boat a little and then she did some laundry while I took the little dinghy out for a spin.  I had filled the fuel tank a bit too much and it was seeping fuel when the sun hit the tank so I decided to just run it for awhile thereby lowering the fuel level in the tank.  I  didn't get much past the fuel dock when a sailboat down in the interior of the marina was looking like it was in trouble.  They were trying to lasso a piling and then engine wasn't running.  I wandered over and they explained the problem in French, but quickly realized the odd expression I had meant I couldn't understand a word they were saying.  So thankfully they re-explained in English that their engine had quit.

I headed back to the boat but notified the fuel dock guy to tell the marina office about them.  Tied up the dinghy on our boat and went over to help tie up the sailboat.  It was a French family, I guess over here for a little vacation.  Never quite understood if they had sailed here from France or not.

Also helped a rather elderly gentleman and his younger companion dock their boat.  He was a little confused, trying to tip me for helping with his lines.  But we finally got the boat situated so they could at least get off. Interesting experience.

After that excitement I took the little dinghy out again and headed into the anchorage.  Completely oblivious to time.  Which explains why I ran into Steve and Liz heading for our boat.  Ooops.  Party time.

Once on board Brent and Susan joined us and we headed over to the pool where we met up with Rob & Sue and Dave and Joanne.  We even saw Curt and Marilyn at the Lazy Days, the restaurant there next to the pool.  They had driven down here with some other friends for lunch.

After a few hours we all headed back to our boat but decided Dave and Joanne’s huge westward facing deck offered a better place for so many people.  So we all went up there. 

As I've mentioned numerous times, Dave and Joanne have this spacious deck overlooking the
Dave and Joannes Condo and their deck
marina.  It’s a great place to lounge and watch the sunset.  An added benefit we discovered was the sting bikini lady.  She's on a boat right in front of the deck and seems to prefer string clothes to anything else.  She, mysteriously, commands rabid attention when she's wandering around on her boat.  Adds a whole new wrinkle to the Hardware Handbook chapter on Applications for String and Twine.  

At Lazy Days.  Rob in yellow, Steve and Liz with backs to camera
Brent in Blue next to Susan, Steve nd Liz
We were all up on the deck when I went back to the boat to fetch Mary's clothes and bring some munchies.  We lingered up there well past the sunset before we headed back to Lazy Days and dinner.  Liz, the adventurous one, ate Lion Fish (Pterois).  Tastes like, well, fish.  The rest of us just had normal bar food.

He finally made it back to the boat by 10.  Earlier in the day I noticed our aft stateroom air conditioning wasn't working any longer.  NO cool air.  This is such an old unit the likelihood of obtaining parts seems remote.  But it can't hurt to try before springing for a new unit.

We woke up late this morning.  I headed off to get my bike back from the bike shop only to discover it wasn't completed so just walked back to the boat.  Today I think we aren't engaging in any projects, just lazing around.  We'll see how long I last doing that!

And we did laze around a bit.  Did some investigation into immigration requirements for returning from the Bahamas.  Made another visit to the bike store but they were waiting on cables so tomorrow I’ll try again.

Tomorrow morning I’m playing baseball.  Like I remember how to swing a bat or even catch a ball?  We’ll see.

Went over to the pool with Dave and Joanne for a bit this afternoon and then came back to eat and putz on the computer before heading off to bed.

The next morning I met Rob at his boat.  He's been bugging me for the last year to play baseball and I finally agreed a few days ago.  Sue does a yoga class thing about the same time so we all four hopped in their HHR drove off to the ball field which is adjacent to the little park where Sue does her yoga sessions.  This park and ball field area is right next to the City Marina which makes it very convenient for people out in the mooring field.

So Mary went to yoga, while I went to play baseball.

Baseball here consists of everyone taking a turn at batting practice while the others practice fielding.  I hit the ball which was good.  Its been awhile.  Only hit righty though.  Not to sure about trying from the left side yet.  There usually 8-12 people on a team.

I should mention its slow pitch softball, with high arcing pitches and usually ten players in the field.   The players consist of a anyone who can walk and throw.  From pre-teens, to an veteran player who's 82.  She's a great grandmother too.

 I started playing shortstop but realized quickly I couldn't zip the ball over to first.  What?  It used to be a simple flick of the arm.  Not any longer.  Now I can toss a floater there.   Somehow I lost the old zip in the arm.  So things got shuffled around and they traded, or moved is a better term, Rob and I to the opposite teams. 

I was playing second then.  And Rob, who batted 5 times hit 4 hot grounders to me and I errored on every one.  The last one I ended up twisting my knee but luckily the game only runs 7 innings so I was spared limping around the bases.

An almost teenage girl called Miami also played.  She got conked on the head by an errant throw.  She left for an inning but everything turned out ok.

We ended up loosing by 10 runs or something.  Not sure, but it was fun aside from my throbbing knee. I found out most of the guys here, all I their mid 60’s and up, sustain frequent strains,pulls, aches and pains.  Much of the talk revolves around various minor injuries that, at this age, take weeks to heal.   If your healing and cant play you become the coach/score keeper.  

Rob, feeling slightly sorry for me I think took us four out for ice cream. 

The bike repair place, Overseas Outfitters 
They dropped me at the bike store, Overseas Outfitters, where I picked up my tuned-up bike.  Fully function brakes now!  I was going to ride Mary’s bike over but it was so nice out we all decided to run out to the reef.

So while Mary made a dish to pass at the St. Patty’s day party this evening I loaded up the dinghy with our snorkel equipment and took it over to gas it up. 
We started out and were joined by Dave and JoAnne in their red devil a red jet-drive boat that pumps water out for propulsion,  Its really a hot rod!.  Rob and Sue had started out a few minutes earlier in their 23 foot Grady with the idea we’d just raft up to them after they were secured on a mooring ball.  It being a nice day, most of the balls would all be taken.

Dave and Joanne in their Red Devil hot rod
We headed out in a calm sea and made the 5 mile trek out to Sombrero reef.  Tied up and we all went snorkeling.  Best sighting was mine.  Several lobsters hiding in there little holes and a stunning green moray eel which undulated right under me between my flippers. 

And I didn't bring the underwater camera.  Dumb!  

After an hour or so we got back into Robs boat.  Dave, not feeling well with the increasing swells left for shore but Joanne stayed with us.  We ate a bit and then headed back to shore.    It was 4:30 and the seas were kicking up a bit but the dinghy did just fine.  Rob beat us though.  Twin 150 hp versus a little old 40 horse.

We quickly headed over to the St.. Pattys day party the marina throws every year.  Yummy.  They provided the corned beef and cabbage while everyone else brought a dish to pass.
St. Patrick day partiers.  Mary and I are in there somewhere
And someone kind soul even brought cherry pie!

We met Nan who was from Nicolet High School and graduated the same year Mary and I did from Dominican and Whitefish Bay respectively.  It was quite a reunion since we shared many of the same experiences.  I even remember the band, Ox!

Walking was getting more difficult with my sore knee so I just packed it in and headed back to the boat to sit around and let it heal a little bit.

There is another perfect reef day coming up tomorrow.  We were going to play with Curt and Marilyn but they decided to head for the Dry Tortugas which is a national park.  Fort Jefferson is there.

We did finally complete our SVRS forms and make the Border Patrol interview for Key West on March 25 at 1:30.  Mary got her application filled out and made an interview appointment for 1:15 on the same day.

Last night my knee was throbbing to the point where I couldn't sleep.  Finally must have dozed off  around 4AM.   I hobbled out of bed by 9.  I’m thinking I need to keep the darn thing in motion to keep it from stiffening up.  So what better way to loosen up a knee joint then to ride a bike.

I wanted to pick up the two props Prop Tech had repaired for us so I got my bike and maybe looked a bit ridiculous getting on it but successfully rode to the prop shop and loaded up both props (small dinghy prop and the big 40 pound main prop) on the bike basket.  The owner forgot to charge me the $35 for the little prop repair but just let it slide.  Guess I’m one of those “good” customers.

Rode back to the marina which is about ¾ of a mile and unloaded everything but didn't want to try and bring the big prop on board with a gimpy knee.  Losing it overboard would be a $1,000 mistake.

The cure for our water maker problems?
Since I finally heard from Aqua Marine about the acid wash I had to stop over at Home Depot to pick up some muriatic acid.  It turns out my chemistry calculations were pretty close to being accurate.   But on the way I stopped by City Marina where we were moored last month to pick up some latent mail and a package from Kath.

Went to Publix too, but couldn’t take much back due to the muriatic acid bottle taking so much room in the bike basket.  I should mention my bike basket is really a plastic milk crate which fits perfectly on the bike.

Once back at the boat we loaded up the dinghy and took Joanne out to the reef where we tied up to Rob & Sue’s boat again.  We all went snorkeling but the water clarity was far less than the day before.  Oh well.

We headed back after Dave had drove out to the reef to bring Joanne back.  We put everything away, showered and headed over to their place for a drink before going to CSV for Mary's drugs on Big Pine Island.  Dave and Joanne graciously drove us there.  While Mary was getting her drugs, Dave and I went to the Walgreens next store to buy liquor. 

Uncle Dave feeding the Deer.
We then headed to No Name pub.   Dave, who had brought along a few apples, stopped along the road (we were on Deer Key then) to feed the little Deer Key deer.  They were amazingly tame, taking apple pieces right out of our hands.

They seem to like apples
After the deer feeding we went to No Name Pub where we had beer and pizza.  Headed back to the marina and bed.  I’m intent on resting up my knee for tomorrow.  Baseball maybe, or more likely taxes and bookwork.







Heading out to the reef
Went out to reef by myself.  Mary didn’t want to go nor did Joanne but Dave said he would however I only got that message when I was already out there.  I was able to secure the only free mooring ball there when a boat left just as I pulled up to ask if I could tie up to them. 


I Jumped in and spent 20 minutes on the reef taking pictures of rather bland stuff.  I did visit the area where I spotted that moray eel the day before but it wasn't slithering around.  Anyway the camera worked fine.


On the mooring ball at the reef
The underside of the dinghy and swarms of these little fish
Barracuda is the big guy on the left.  He's about 10 feet below me. 
My knee, although getting better is still keeping me from doing much.  I walk like Chester from Gunsmoke.  While I was doing some chart  updates Mary did a load of laundry.  I also purchased new electronic charts of the Bahamas to supplement the paper charts we have of the region.

Later I felt like taking a boat ride so took out the little dinghy.  Right near Burdines it abruptly quite.  Started right up so I thought I may have jiggled the deadman switch (a lanyard the if secured to yourself will kill the engine if you fall over board).  It died again just short of the bridge so it seemed reasonable to me that a return trip would be a good idea.

It died 4 more times before refusing to start leaving me to row the last half mile.  Diagnosis:  ran out of gas!

Setting up for taco night
I showered quickly when I returned and we headed over to Dave an Joanne’s condo.  We met Rob and Sue there as well.  It was taco night and a mighty fine feast it was.  Finished off with Dave’s Key Lime pie.  Dave and Joanne are really good cooks!

Taco night sunset
The next morning Mary went to yoga.  I tried to take her bike to the bike shop but the petals fell off.  Guess it really did need to be tune-up as they say.

Rob stopped over and invited us to go to Looe Key today for some diving/snorkeling.  Its near Bahia Honda state park which is south of here.

We left around noon.  Dave and Joanne took their red devil while Mary and I went with Rob and Sue.  Its about an hour ride (15 miles) to the Key which is a reef about 5 miles off shore similar to Sombrero reef.

We found a ball and went in the water shortly after.  The high points for me were the big barracuda, the stingray, and the two sharks swimming around the boat.  Very cool.  The reef itself was similar to Sombrero with legions of little brightly colored fish.

Bahia Honda State Park.  The gap in the bridge leads to the inside
We were in the water for an hour or so and then Mary headed back to the boats with Joanne.  Dave and JoAnne decided to leave then and I went back in the water.  After a while I headed back to the boats fighting the increasing current.  Rob caught me and mentioned there was a jumbo sized grouper under a boat the was moored about a ¼ mile away.  So I swam over to it fighting the current the whole way.  And just as I reached the vicinity of the boat it took off.  And the grouper must have decided there wasn't enough shade so he fled too and I never did catch a glimpse of it.  It was a real big one though.  Darn! 

I rode the current back to the boat and after a few minutes spent nibbling on snacks we took off to meet Dave and Joanne at Bahia Honda state park.  The state park has one of the better beaches on the ocean side.  And you can access in the interior of the park through the old railroad bridge.  Going through there leads you into the bay side which is usually smoother than the ocean side.

Once we went through the old railroad bridge we saw Dave and Joanne and they ran on the bay side with us all the way back to the Marina.   It was another 15 mile trip but it was pretty smooth the whole way.

When we got back to the marina we all went to our respective boats and later I met Dave and Joanne at the pool for a little while.

When I returned from the pool we had messages from Steve and Liza who are leaving the next morning.  I filled the dinghy with all the gas I had remaining and started off to their boat about a mile away intending on stopping to fill the gas can.  Alas, all the gas docks were closed, so back I went to our boat and got in the big dinghy and went over to see them with good wishes for a trouble free journey.

Then it was back to the boat, for dinner, a shower and bed.  Tomorrow is beach day with Jeff and Judy who are staying up in Key Colony Beach.  Actually they’re all alone since Curt, Marilyn and a few other couples all took off for the Dry Tortugas a few days ago. 

Then I think Sunday I’m going to change the engine oil to relax a little before the next round of socializing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment