Tuesday, April 14, 2015

April 3-9 2015 in Marathon

Dave and Joanne
Last day before we leave.  So of course we are running around trying to get things done.  I got everything ready for the water maker acid bath.  Mary started on washing the windows.  Then we went to Burdines for lunch with Dave and Joanne.

I came back and started the acid wash.  Only a few leaks.  Ran the thing for 1.5 hours and let it soak for another 30 minutes.  Flushed everything out and started up the water maker as the tide started in.
Yellow liquid is the acid 
Interesting maze of plumbing
Ran for 4 hours and could never  make pure enough water for the system to release it into the tank.   Darn!  So we are effectively without a water maker.  It looks like we need new membranes.  And that means I have to disconnect the whole apparatus and pull the canisters that hold the membranes out and haul them off to a repair shop.

And that would be SALT, Sea, Air, Land Technologies who are right down the road and are the water maker repair people among other things. 

Meanwhile Mary finished the windows, we had cocktails at the pool with Dave and Joanne who are also leaving tomorrow.

The water maker problem is trip killer.  I consulted with some experts and the general consensus is  the membranes all have to be replaced.  Not so bad except we really should be in a marina for that to happen.  So now we have to scramble around and either stay here or move down in the harbor to another marina.  I’m thinking we stay here.  Mary’s thinking cheaper.  Stay tuned to see who wins this one!

I will not gloat over my small victory lest I never enjoy another.  We are staying.

One week would be costing us $900.  But it keeps us close to the water maker place where I have to take the membrane canisters, and there is decent internet here so I can do all the taxes on line.  And of course we know many of the people.  And then there's the pool, and since we have dockside water, there are no water worries.  And of course we have electric so we can run the A/C any time we want.  I mean really.   Isn't all that worth $900?

Perhaps not.  Mary, even before having coffee, trotted down to the office to wring some concession out of the Marina.  So now we get to move the boat from a $900 slip to one a few hundred dollars less and on the other side of the dock.  We have to give up our sunset views and figure out something for the dinghy since we don't have much room to hoist it up to the boat.

I spent most of the morning tweaking our navigation system and laying out courses to various Bahamas destinations.  After awhile I took a stroll around the marina just to keep my bum knee from stiffening up.  Spent an hour walking about a mile, mainly jawing with fellow boaters.  It’s becoming like a neighborhood where we've lived for a long time.  We know everyone.

Rob's boat
Came back and then took the dinghy out for a quick ride since we haven't run it for over a week and its been sitting in the water.  I gassed it up and then ran it out into the ocean again.  Spotted Rob and Sue who were coming in from a ride with some family visitors.  I made a quick turn and was starting to chase him down so we could have a little race but decided not to embarrass him and turned back out to sea.

(Actually, his boat has about 5 times the horsepower of our little dinghy.  Wouldn't have been much of a race).

We made plans to have Brent and Susan over to paddle around in the pool tomorrow.  Dave and Joanne left this morning and since Rob and Sue have family over we have no one to play with around here except Brent and Susan who are the only ones left from the gang in Boot Key Harbor.

Tim and Pam from SweetWater
Tim and Pam from Sweetwater, a boat we spent several days with in Canada texted me wondering if we were still around.  They were driving back to Islamorada from Key West and wanted to stop and say hi.  Mary still wasn't feeling well so I met them in the bar at Lazy Days and we had a great time telling boating stories.  Really good to see them!

Came back and did part of Heidi’s taxes.  And then we both went to bed at 9:30 PM.

We didn't do much this morning except cleaned little.  I finished up computer navigation tweaking  ordered the water maker membranes and also ordered two more CO2 cartridges for the carbonating machine we now have which makes sparkling water thus saving the expense of buying and storing cans of it, not to mention disposal issues especially when we're in the Bahamas where recycling isn't all that common.

We had to decide on either slip 56 which is right across the main dock from where we are now, or slip 51 which is a few slips down but offers us a bow in arrangement leaving space to hoist the dinghy back aboard.  Its also nice in the sense we face west so the burning afternoon sun heats up the bow of the boat not our stateroom.

After talking with the boat in slip 56 we decided to take 51.  He wasn't leaving until 10:30 the next morning and Mary has to be at yoga by 9:30.  And I have to bike out to NAPA to get air and oil filters.

Brent and Susan
The handy mason jar full of gin
Brent and Susan came over later in the afternoon bringing a whole array of food and drinks.  Brent and his sapphire gin jar is memorable.  They also brought along Cuban food for later.  So we stayed aboard and talked for a few hours before heading to the pool.  The pool had been very warm the last few weeks but now has cooled off some.  It was downright chilly the other day but now it’s a soothing 80.

We hung around until I, swimming under water with my eyes closed ran into the pool wall which left me bleeding from a forehead gash.  It was pretty funny and not anything serious.  So we left and headed back to the boat, and stopping half a dozen times to explain to various people on their boats having cocktails about my forehead.  Inquisitive folks down here.




Nice gash don't you think?
Once aboard I bandaged my self up and we ate the really yummy Cuban food, talked some more until they left to go back to their boat which is on a mooring ball in Boot Key harbor.  They are planning on leaving Sunday for Ft. Pierce so we're going out for one last bash Saturday.

This morning I was up early and took the dinghy over near the marina office so we could move the big boat over to slip 51.NAPA.
In our new slip.  Number 51
  After everything was unhooked we backed out and made two left turns to head back into the opposite of the dock we had just left.  Pulled into the slip and tied up all before 9AM.  While Mary headed off to yoga, I hooked all the electrical/water back up and adjusted the lines before biking the 7 miles to

Marathon area
For orientation purposes here's a map of the area.  It has Marathon Marina prominently shown and the rest of Marathon too.




Got the filters and Marilyn called just as I was leaving NAPA.  So I just rode over to their marina which was a few blocks away, and met up with them for awhile.  Talked with Jeff and Judy too. And Saul whose engine problem we had tried unsuccessfully to diagnosis the day before.  Turns out it might possibly be a bad NAPA fuel filter. 

Thanks Marilyn and Curt.  I really am happy!
After declining a ride from Marilyn I biked back to the boat where we hung around some until the boat started rocking.  It was that big Canadian Jeff  pushing on our anchor roller.  How he was able to get this big old tub rocking is beyond me.  They, Curt and Marilyn, were here to look a boat for sale and Jeff and Judy decided to tag along.

We had to decline the invite to Key West and roast beef.  I’m still working on taxes … well working on motivating myself to work on taxes.   Curt and Marilyn got me a t-shirt to help me along I think

I did take the dinghy out for a spin and then came back to eat, walk, shower and bed.   The cruising life is just so exciting!

We weren't too energetic this morning.  I didn't feel like removing the water maker membranes since we had to meet Brent and Susan later.  So puttered around the boat most of the day. 

Mary made a seat cover for the helm chair and then we dickered about a radar cover so the sun wouldn’t bake it like it did the other one.  Later I rode over to Publix to take advantage of a half-off veggie sale so I stocked up.  Now our freeze is so full its hard to get at the ice.

We were meeting Brent and Susan at FL-Keys near the City Marina.  It was much easier to dinghy over to the Marina dinghy dock there rather than bike.  FL-Keys has this popular happy hour where you can drink and eat for very cheap.

Yummy breakfasts here so its rumored
We did make a point to drive by this little house boat out on the mud flats near the marina.  The couple in there serve breakfast every morning.  3 different selections which are reportedly very tasty.


As we were walking off the dinghy dock we caught site of another slumbering Manatee.   Guess the water has warmed up sufficiently for them to hang around here.

We meet Brent and Susan and spent a few hours there with Brent and Susan.  And there was two orders of chocolate cake both of which we not devoured by myself or Brent.

They were planning on leaving tomorrow but ran into an engine problem so they may be staying until Wednesday when we are planning on leaving.

We too developed a surprise problem just before we left the boat.  The aft head started making very odd noises.  Nothing fell in as far as we are concerned so I'm thinking it’s the macerator blade and seals that are the culprit. 

On the boat Mary settled into watching murder and mayhem on TV while I discovered there are no re-build kits for the toilet.  At least any that I can find.  I’ll either have to call Monday and see if several places stock something or buy a new toilet which run around $500. 

So we pretty much left everything and went to bed.  Made it to 10PM this time.  But I think that’s because all the murder and mayhem shows ended.

Huh?  A Sunrise Service?   5AM?
Mary was up at 8ish this morning because she and Susan are going to the 10 AM Methodist church service.  She did turn down an invite for a sunrise service on one of the beaches near here.  MArilyn made the offer but to me.  I conveyed the suggestion to Mary who, as you can see, was visibly enthusiastic.

The catholic church is many miles away and isn't reachable by bike.  I’m staying behind to print off all the tax forms and electronically file them if the internet holds up.

Then its to the membranes!  And later, maybe the pool.

Our new next door neighbors, David and Lisa are on a 1984, 49 foot Gulfstar.  Nice old boat.  And they are also live-a-boards too.  They just replaced a broken ice maker.  We, as you know haven’t.  So I need to go over and see it.  It was several hundred dollars cheaper than what I've found.

Finished taxes today except the printer ran out of ink so it was a quick bike ride to Office Max for new cartridges.  We never did get to the water maker membranes, so that has to be tomorrow because the new ones might be here by Tuesday!

We went over to visit with Brent and Susan who were going to leave tomorrow but now probably not until Tuesday since they don't have their electrical issues resolved yet.  So we made plans to eat at Burdines tomorrow evening.  Our last time.  I’m going to miss those chili burgers!

Getting the impression that plans always seem to progress through several iterations and alternations before actually begin executed?

We were up and tackled the membranes after I came back from the post office to mail Heidi her tax papers.
Membranes all removed
It didn’t take me long.  Just several high pressure lines and 3 water lines that go on and off by heating them with a heat gun.  No clamps!  Had to drain the membranes in the shower but now they sit in the dinette floor waiting to go to SALT, the water maker repair guys here in Marathon.

Mary napped until 3 and I finally found a place that sold toilet rebuild kits.  Can't quite order them yet because we don't know where we'll be since the water maker membranes have to yet shipped from South Carolina.  We could be here for several more days, but since the weather isn't looking all that good I guess it won't be a big deal.

Still polishing fuel today.  Fuel polishing means pumping the fuel in the tanks through a series of filters to remove any crud that may have accumulated.  We have small little circulation pumps that are plumbed into the fule lones and circulate fuel through our Racor Filters.

When diesel sits in hot humid weather little beasties like to grow in there and they can clog filters quickly.   Polishing before we leave for a long journey, helps lower the risk that we'll have a clogged filter in the middle of the ocean.  Tomorrow I'll polish until evening then shut it down and change the racor filters.  We leave (maybe) Wednesday.  

Rob and Sue have an offer on their house so they’re planning on leaving by the weekend.  Brent an Susan in the mooring field are leaving Friday.  With a new dinghy.  No more close party friends!  Although David and Lisa next door to us invited us over for the game.  He’s a rabid Duke fan but we'll be returning from Burdines where we're headed tonight to give Brent and Susan their send off although now they are leaving for a few more days.  But what the hell …

I worked on the toilet this afternoon.  Took it all apart and cleaned it out but its still grinding pretty badly so I'm sure it’s in the macerator.  But I found parts so we're good!

Had a great time at Burdines, but the winds picked up so its good to be back.  Not going next door either to watch the end of the Wisconsin Duke game.  I think it’s a good night for bed!

I’m convinced leaving the A/C on is much better for our sleeping.  Even though the master stateroom A/C is dysfunctional, the other units, with strategically placed fans, seem to keep things comfortable at night.  Much better sleeping in 75 degrees than 80 degrees.

We hung around the boat most of the day, Mary reading and I working on the computer with pictures, notes and emailing various companies looking for toilet parts.  And yes it is strange that we're here in a tropical paradise and I'm on a computer searching for toilet parts.  

One vendor replied with some good info and I went to order a rebuild kit only to be notified it was out of stock and they were waiting for an order to arrive.  I inquired how long they thought that would take but still waiting for a reply.

Along the same track, I talked with the water maker membrane supplier and they haven’t seen the shipment of membranes yet.  This is a problem since we won't see them until they get them from the manufacturer. 

I'm beginning to sense that parts suppliers are all conspiring to keep us here another few weeks!

So putting all this together we waltzed over to see Judy the dock master and said we’d be staying another week.  She hugged me laughing saying, “See?  I told you, you wouldn't be leaving us”. 

Heck, whats money for if not to spend it.    Its just spending it in such quantities can be mildly disturbing.   But we have little choice except to move to another marina and pay slightly less and be further away from the water maker repair shop.

As some wise old guy uttered, "Go first class now.  Or your kids will".

Rob and Sue seem to have an accepted offer on their house and are leaving Thursday to go back to Atlanta.  When they leave they’ll take their car which was our only accessible vehicle.  So proximity to the membrane repair place is almost a necessity since I’ll have to bike them over or get a cab now.

I biked to the Publix again.  I think if I didn't go once every few days they'd call asking if I was alright.  

We had taco salad tonight.  Then I finally went for a long walk of several miles tonight since my knee is feeling much better.  I stopped in and visited the new Hyatt resort and marina down the road a mile or so.  Nice place.  Sorta.  And expensive.  To me anyway, its not worth it.

Tomorrow we're going to do something.  What that is remains to be seen, but I'm thinking a good nights sleep will be necessary.  So we went to bed at 10PM.

This morning Mary did laundry and I worked on collecting all my cruising and blog notes.

I was able to order the toilet rebuild kit from a supplier in Miami and they should be here next week.   I never realized how exciting it can be to know that toilet rebuild kits are arriving soon.

The water maker membranes are another matter.  Still no word from the online store.  So when Mary wanted to bike over to the turtle museum I went with her.  While she was in the turtle hospital gift shop I went to SALT, the water maker repair place and made arrangement for them to take our three cylinders which have the old membranes, clean them and dispose of the old membranes, and then keep them in their shop until I bring over the new membranes.  Or let them just go ahead and order the new membranes.  Probably cost us a few hundred dollars more, but time is becoming a big issue now.

Complex arrangements, all so we can expedite the repairs and help get us out of here to the Bahamas next week.  Our friends, Jeff and Judy are waiting patiently as we wait anxiously to resolve this water maker issue so we can all leave.

Speaking of leaving, Rob and Sue are leaving tomorrow so a bunch of us went off to a pizza place where we were joined by friends of theirs, Jeff and Mary.  And Snake. 

Snake is sort of a dropout genius who holds multiple advanced degrees including two Phd’s.  He  worked for many years at the CDC in Atlanta.  Interesting guy to say the least.  He lives on a 30 foot sailboat in the Boot Key Harbor mooring field and does odd jobs around the marinas.

We had a great time and were back before 9 and in bed by 10.  We have to get up early to see them off.  After they leave I'll load up the 3, 15 lb. cylinders and bike them over to SALT.  Should be a fun day!

I was up in time to see Rob and Sue before they took off for their place in Atlanta.  They'll be busy moving out of their house over the next month.

After talking with the Freshwater Systems people, they told me now that our membranes would be delayed until at least April 15.  I cancelled the order.  Even though they are $100 cheaper, the delay is too long.

So I talked with SALT and they said bring them in and they would order the membranes through their own supply channels.  Mary wasn't feeling well so I ended up carrying the cylinders over to  my bike one at a time.
Loaded up and ready to go
Hefted them up on the bike basket one at a time too, being careful to bungee them securely.  They fit although hung out about a foot on either side.  And they are heavy.  Heavy enough to require some bike balancing acrobatics. 

Nothing like a challenge.  Especially riding around here in Marathon.  the main highway, US 1 (or the Oversea highway if your prefer official names) is an undivided road, 4 lanes for the most part.  The speed limit is 45 or 35 ner the school.  And the sidewalks are, well, somewhat well worn or obscure.  And speed limits are what they are most everywhere else.  Suggestions.  All this makes for trying to cross the highway a real challenge.  So far we've only encountered a few squished Iguanas so I guess it isn't as bad as I'm describing. 

SALT Building
I arrived at SALT without incident and made arrangements with them to at least take out the old
membranes and clean up the cylinders and replace any failing seals.

Other than that, it was a slow day.  We had been invited to Brent and Susan’s boat for dinner since they will be leaving Saturday.  But Mary was in bed all day so it was just me going over too see them.  It was the usual wonderful time.  They are on a mooring ball and it was refreshing to experience that again, with the cool breezes and conch shells playing at sundown.

I made it back to our boat at 10:30 on a pitch black night.  Went right to bed. 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment