Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dec 17, 2013 (still at) Baytowne Marina Destin,FL

Don and Linda took me golfing at Sea Scape Monday morning.  18 holes.  I didn't keep a firm score but rampant speculation was putting me around the very low 90, high 80's.  Maybe laying off golf for many months is the key to success?

We all had a few drinks at the marina afterwords when Mary Ann the parrot, just up and flew off her perch out over us heading out to the water.  After a short flight she ended up landing on the shore next to a raised walkway about a 100 yards away.  Her wings are clipped so flying is supposed to be near impossible for her.  Guess not.  Like I said she's a precocious avian we always seem to be crossing paths with lately.

Anyway I ran over, hopped a fence and she stepped right up on my arm.  I swear she looked relieved and a bit excited as if a latent talent was suddenly re-discovered.  Had a hard time getting up on the raised walkway with her on my arm but a kindly soul who knew birds took her and all was well.  Mary Ann though has been confined to her comfy closet/cage until the wing clipper person can render her flightless again.

No Green Flash
We returned to Elephant Walk that evening for a little impromptu cocktail party and dinner.  Clear skies an wonderful sunset.  No Green Flash though.









Dodge mini van for the trip north.  It has heat!
Any of you kids got a soccer game to go too?

Hertz, bless their hearts, picked me up this morning around 9:30 to finalize the rental car.  It was remarkably easy and  hassle free.  And I'm excited to report I used my new Florida drivers license to rent the van.

After a few errands we returned to the boat and began our always calm and measured packing routine.  Yeah...

A chilled snake
I went off to the fitness center for one last session but on the way stopped to check a phone message while on this deck pathway for a few minutes.  Felt an odd sensation on my right foot and lo and behold there was a demure brown serpent crawling across my ankle.  It made it's way across my foot onto the deck and then slithered under the side.  Fascinating!  Don't know what specie it was but probably a garter snake of some sort.  It was still pretty chilly so I guess the poor critter wasn't too functional in the cool air.



Found my boots!
Our packing is pretty much complete. The boat shutdown check list is ready, and we have all our dock lines secured.  And I found my Wisconsin shoes which are basically boots since up there snow seems to be all around.   Even located my gloves, jacket, heavy wool socks and sweatshirts.  Alas, no t-shirts or extra shorts.  But I'm obstinate!  I will be driving without pants tomorrow.  Long pants!  I'm still in shorts!




Leaving between 7 and 7:30 Wednesday morning.  Should be in Wisconsin by Thursday night.  I'll be the idiot in shorts.


No comments:

Post a Comment